March 2022 Board Meeting Minutes

BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES

March 14, 2022. 7:00 pm

Meeting Facilitator: Tyler Smith, President

Invitees: Amy Sommer (Vice President), Maitlyn Smith (Secretary), Sharon Murch (Treasurer), Rebecca Rett (Director at Large/Show Office Manager), Kim Winger (Dressage Secretary), Danielle Maser (Youth Director), Zara Wright (Director at Large) ,Kelly Beaubien (Director at Large)


1. Call to order @ 7:07pm

2. Roll Call - All board members present

3. Secretary’s Report - report sent out

4. Old business

  • Announcer – need contact information for each person the previous information was not correct. Amy and Rebecca will send them over. No other suggestions for announcers were made.

  • Rules and regulations / class description update – new class descriptions need to be made for ranch riding and all rules for it as well. The board decided to have the pattern to change every show. Amy will send over the information for this.

  • Price increases – all prices will be brought up at the spring meeting as well.

  • Rules & Regulations

  • The fees, board of directors, early arrival, registration information, and a few classes need to be added. Sharon went over rules and regulation and requesting a separate meeting.

  • All members will look over the documents and send a copy of changes to Tyler by the 20th

  • 2022 Showbill – need updated pull in time and rules/regulations

  • 2022 Entry Form – all prices need to be determined and camping will be $30 a night and stalls will need to be increased. Mattie proposed Kelly seconds all in favor. Passed.

  • Stall Reservation Form (dated 2021 w/2021 show dates & price change?) - Need price change

  • Stall fees will change to $60 due to price increases. Mattie proposed Kelly seconds all in favor. Passed.

  • Open Breed Entry Form (Price changes?)

  • All classes are the same, but prices need updated

  • Dressage entry form needs ride times need changed

  • EMAA Swag (are prices still valid and products still available?)

  • Prices are updated on the website

  • Mason Camping Form (dated 2021)

  • Zara updated them already and will send to Kait

  • Shiawassee Camping Form (dated 2021 and says “Please see the attached camping map for Ingham County Fairground” – THIS IS SHIAWASSEE – review language)

  • Zara updated already and will send to Kait

  • Spring meeting zoom or in person?

  • Board decided to do zoom.

  • Board agreed to have the meeting posted on Facebook and require the membership to be paid before entering (by Friday evening April 1). Kait will do an email blast out.

5. Treasurer’s Report

  • Feb 1 – Feb 28: $37,743.26 - $37,152.26

  • February balances from 2019 – 2022:

  • 2022 - $37,152.26

  • 2021 $29,397.40

  • 2020 $32,001.35

  • 2019 $43,109.21

  • Mar 1 – Mar 14: $37152.26 - $28,285.75

  • Amy Motion to approve renewal of zoom renewal Kelly 2nd all in favor. Passed

  • ICF contract received and will be returned with additional $500 deposit

  • Security contract signed and returned

  • All judges contracts were mailed out; three dressage contracts signed and returned


6. Show Office Managers Report - No report

7. Youth Directors Report

  • Possibly use tribute to pay for bouncy house also Sharon suggested using fetch cards for youth activities


8. Committee Reports

  • Judges: Amy Sommer - Chair.

  • Contracts are being returned

  • Show Bill Rebecca Rett – Chair

  • New Showbill was approved

  • Member spotlight:

  • None. Suggestions needed.

  • Ribbons: Maitlyn Smith-Chair

  • Ordered and waiting for shippng.

  • Points: Kim Winger-Chair

  • Working on scribes and gate people

  • Suggestion Box

  • Emails from the webpage - none

  • Banquet/gymkhana Dani Maser-Chair - none

  • Dressage-Kim Winger-Chair

  • Need to set up sign up ride times for the shows

9. New business

  • New show bill Friday particulars

  • Who do we want to judge the Friday western English riding and trail

  • Msu Judging teams? Will we pay them?

  • Kelly will help Tyler to set up trail and English western riding

  • Open discussion- none



10. Adjournment @ 8:30 - Mattie motioned and Amy second


February 14, 2022. 7:00 pm

Meeting Facilitator: Tyler Smith, President

Invitees: Amy Sommer (vice president), Maitlyn Smith (Secretary), Sharon Murch (treasurer), Rebecca Rett (director at large/show office manager), Kim Winger (dressage secretary), Danielle Maser (youth director), Zara Wright (director at large), Kelly Beaubien (director at large)


1. Call to order @ 8:06pm

2. Roll Call - All board members present

3. Secretary’s Report/Review of minutes from last meeting

  • Jen - MOTION to approve, seconded

4. Old business

  1. Ribbon order must be done in Feb. – all ribbons were counted

  2. We need main ring regular classes: 580 1st, 501 2nd, 453 3rd, 403 4th, 333 5th, 357 6th

  3. Main ring championship ribbons: 15 3rd, 15 4th, 15 5th, 5 6th, and 82 championship, 80 reserve championship.

  4. Order will be made in February to get the 10% discount. This covers all 4 horse shows. All members agreed to order the minimal needed to ensure all classes have a 1st through 6th place available for all main ring classes.

  5. Depending on how the order needs to be made we may need to round up or down depending on the number of ribbons in the box if they can not be ordered in exact numbers. The order will be placed on the 17th of February. We are keeping the same stile and price range that was previously made.

  6. All ribbons were ordered for gymkhana main ring, dressage classes and championships. No ribbons were needed for the medals open breed.

  7. Show bill committee meeting – Rebecca will have the show bill committee meeting before march meeting. The first week of march.

  8. We will place a Facebook post/ email to get member involvement if they want to join the committee. Can be in person or zoom.

  9. Food truck Steve was asking if we had dawn again- dawn would like to continue but concerned about not making enough money

  10. Board agreed to just hire the one truck from dawn. And if needed get Steve as a backup if she no longer is available.

  11. Tyler will contact Ingham needs to be contacted to make sure dawn is an approved on there list.

  12. Judges ASAP- Amy sent list of idea for judges and no one on the list was denied from the board. the board agreed to have Amy contact judges and see who is available. All of the board agreed to not hire the 2nd judge, this will affect the show bill committee and be addressed during their meeting.

  13. Pay will be: milage, $50 food stiffened, plus the full day of pay in a budget of $750-800. The board agreed to increase the budget if absolutely have to a small amount, due to not having to pay a second judge.

  14. Meet the board profiles- Amy and Maitlyn will be sending over their new board members profile to put into the monthly newsletter.

  15. Announcer- Several Board members have given a few names and they will be contacted. A Facebook blast will be made for other ideas. We still are in need of Friday person as well, but it will depend on the cost if the announcer will do just Saturday/Sunday but if able Friday too. This might have to be someone at the show and not a paid position.

  16. Doug louis, Tori Yantz, etc..

  17. Dani said she could announce for gymkhana if needed and Kim will announce the dressage, and the sport horse in hand will just be announced at the end.

5. Treasurer’s Report

  1. See attached Report.

  2. Waiting for contracts to be returned, and all hotel reservations have been made.

  3. Security cost has increased, along with several costs at Shiawassee/Ingham. An audit with board members and tax’s will be taken care of in the next 2 months

  4. We have not increased any of the costs in 2 years but have continued to have several increases from all show expenses. Prices need to be re-examined.

  5. The banquette hotel may not be in business by the end of the year. Need to research new places.

6. Show Office Managers Report - Nothing to report

7. Youth Directors Report - Nothing to report

8. Committee Reports

  • Judges: Amy Sommer-Chair. Nothing new needed to add

  • Show Bill Rebecca Rett- limit to 10-15 people

  • Member spotlight: will complete and turn in

  • Ribbons: Maitlyn Smith-Chair: Nothing new needed to add

  • Points: Kim Winger-Chair: Nothing to report

  • Suggestion Box- emails from the webpage

  • Member- made a degrading comment about the banquette with not liking the prizes and how it was run. The person wants trophies and plaques not usable items.

  • Possible vote from members at a horse show on what the opinion they have on the banquette

  • Banquet/gymkhana Dani Maser-Chair:

  • During the banquette maybe call up number by number and what they accomplished that year.

  • No change for gymkhana

  • Dressage-Kim Winger-Chair:

  • need Facebook post for judges, and Amy will give a few names as well. Hold on 2nd judge until numbers go back up.

9. New business

1. Spring meeting date and location

  • Looking at April 2nd. This will be the board meeting as well.

  • Is MSU still available? or a Zoom call? Mason community center?

2. 2022 necessary price increases

  • Hold until contracts come back to make decisions.

3. Open discussion

  • Rules and regulations need to be updated, wait until show bill is completed.

  • Look into new venues for banquette, a few members are looking at new places.

  • Make sure everyone needs to pay attention to the group text chat and emails to have responses for updates needing immediate response.

  • Possibility of pay back classes instead of a banquette? Need to revisit at the next meeting.

  • Maybe ways to scale down do just a desert and bar not necessarily full meal. Just make it clear we are still recovering from the limited attendance, so a smaller banquette may be needed until the economy turns around.

10. Adjournment - @ 9:30

EMAA 2022 Showbill
.pdf
Download PDF • 259KB

Recent Posts
Follow Us
  • EMAA